The University of Basel places great importance on the protection of personal data. Personal data is any data related to you personally, such as your name, address, email, telephone number, photo, user behaviour, IP address, etc.
Personal data is always processed in compliance with the Canton of Basel-Stadt’s Information and Data Privacy Act (IDPA) and, where applicable, with the Swiss Federal Data Protection Act (DPA). In addition, the University of Basel also complies with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), where applicable, and it provides the corresponding legal basis in accordance with Art. 13(1)(c) GDPR.
The use of certain features of our website ub.unibas.ch, in particular, completing contact forms, may require the collection, processing and long-term storage of personal data, such as your name, address, telephone number or email address. We process this data in accordance with Art. 9 of the Canton of Basel-Stadt’s Information and Data Privacy Act (IDPA) and the corresponding university regulations.
- If and to the extent that the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) applies, we process the data:
- on the basis of legal obligations (Art. 6(1)(c) GDPR) or in the public interest (Art. 6(1)(e) GDPR)
- on the basis of your consent (Art. 6(1)(a) GDPR)
- for the performance of a contract and for appropriate pre-contractual measures (Art. 6(1)(b) GDPR)
- to safeguard our own legitimate interests or those of third parties (Art. 6(1)(f) GDPR)
- in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person (Art. 6(1)(d) GDPR)
You may revoke any consent you may have granted us for particular services at any time with future effect. Any personal data that has already been collected will be deleted if it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected. If there are legal or contractual reasons that prevent the data from being deleted, the data will be blocked instead.
If you would like us to fully delete your personal data, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For security reasons, e.g. to investigate cases of misuse and to secure our network infrastructure, certain access data is automatically collected when the ub.unibas.ch website is accessed, and stored in a web server log file on the University of Basel’s servers for a period of four months. In the event of an attack on our network infrastructure, it may be necessary to store these files longer as evidence and for any civil or criminal proceedings against the attacker. The following access data is collected:
- website visited
- date and time accessed
- browser used
- operating system used
- IP address
The web analysis tool “Matomo” is integrated in the ub.unibas.ch website. Web analysis (tracking) is the collection and assessment of data based on the behaviour of the website’s users. Among other things, a web analysis tool collects data about the website from which the individual visits the website (the “referrer”), the pages on the website that are accessed, and how often and for how long a page is viewed. Website analysis is used to optimise the website. If you wish to deactivate tracking, you will need to activate the “Do Not Track” setting in your browser settings.
The University of Basel uses technical and organisational security measures to ensure that the data it collects and processes via the ub.unibas.ch website
- remains confidential and is protected against accidental or unlawful access, amendment or disclosure as well as loss or destruction; and
- is accessible solely on a need-to-know basis by those persons who must access the personal data because of their function and duties.
The relevant measures are based on the type of information, the type and purpose of utilisation and the state-of-the-art at the time.
The ub.unibas.ch website is encrypted.
This encryption ensures that the accessed website (the requested information) comes from the server it purports to come from. Unencrypted data transmissions can be manipulated by third parties.
The University of Basel, or the University Library Basel, have not reviewed the websites linked from the ub.unibas.ch website via hyperlinks or the RSS feeds that are displayed and accepts no responsibility for their content or for the products, services and other offers available on them.
Users of the ub.unibas.ch website through which we collect personal data have at all times, within the framework of the applicable legal regulations, the right
- to confirmation at no charge as to whether their personal data is processed by the University Library Basel, (§25 and 26 IDPA)
- to information about any of their data that is stored,
- to limit the processing of the data,
- to data portability, if and to the extent the GDPR is applicable,
- to the correction, blocking or deletion of this data,
- to the revocation of any consent that has been granted,
- to object to the processing of their personal data.
You can submit a relevant request at any time via the following contact address: email@example.com