Information desk and lending service
Monday to Friday 08:00 – 19:00
Saturday 12:00 – 17:00
Monday to Friday 08:00 – 20:00
Saturday 12:00 – 20:00
during exam periods
Monday to Saturday 08:00 – 22:00
Sunday 09:00 – 20:00
Searching and finding
To find literature in the University Main Library, please first consult the search platform swisscovery Basel. This will show you the location of a book:
- Open stacks:You can collect the book in the open stacks (map: floors 1-6) yourself. Make a note of the call number, but without the prefix "UBH".
- Journals stacks: The journals stacks are closed to the public, but items can be ordered during this time and will be made available by library staff for collection. Items can be ordered via swisscovery and can be collected from the lending desk on the first floor after receipt of a collection notice.
- Closed stacks: you may order the book from our closed stacks online: click on Lending in the library catalogue.
- Reading room: books in the reading room belong to the reference collection and cannot be borrowed (see Reading rooms)
- Special reading room: you can pick up items from our non-borrowable holdings at the special reading room and consult them on-site (see historical holdings).
To order i.e. borrow books from the library, you will need a user ID (see Registration / first steps). Registration | first steps).
You will find our electronic media in the library catalogue, as well as on the following page. The staff at the information desk are happy to help you with searching in the catalogue, databases, etc. as well as with all other steps.
Collecting ordered books
Books which have been ordered from our closed stacks can be collected from the lending desk after the delivery period. The books will be kept there for you for a period of two weeks.
Postal delivery (only possible within Switzerland)
On request we will send all borrowable items per post to your address. Select "Region Basel" as the Pickup Institution and "Private Address" or "Work Address" if available, as the Pickup Location (CHF 12.- per item).
Courier orders and interlibrary loans
You can make an acquisition request and we will check whether the book can be ordered for the University Library Basel.
- Help for the use of the open stacks is available at the desk on the first floor or by email / phone + 41 61 207 31 07.
- Users with impaired mobility can order the required items by email and we will place the items ready for collection at the lending desk. A collection notice will be sent. Alternatively, items can be ordered for collection at any courier library.
- There is a ramp at the main entrance and a lift in the foyer.
- A parking space for those with mobility issues is available (marked in yellow) in front of the building at Bernoullistrasse 28.
Tram no. 3 to Spalentor
Bus no. 30 to Spalentor or Bernoullianum
Delivery of goods
For deliveries of goods please contact the caretaker at the University Main Library 2-3 hours before the delivery by phone on +41 61 207 31 77 or via email at email@example.com.