Study areas, reading rooms, open stacks
Monday to Friday 08.00 – 20.00
Saturday 10.00 - 20.00
Monday to Friday 08.00 – 19.00
Saturday 10.00 – 17.00
Searching and finding
To find literature in the University Main Library, please first consult the search platform swisscovery Basel. This will show you the location of a book:
- Open stacks:You can collect the book in the open stacks (map: floors 1-6) yourself. Make a note of the call number, but without the prefix "UBH".
- Journals stacks: Some of the holdings are currently not accessible. All holdings can be ordered via swisscovery.
- Closed stacks: The holdings are not accessible and must be ordered via swisscovery.
- Reading room: Books in the reading room belong to the reference collection and cannot be borrowed (see Reading rooms)
- Special reading room: You can order non-borrowable holdings to the special reading room via swisscovery and consult them there on site (see Historical holdings). Prior registration required.
To order i.e. borrow books from the library, you will need a user ID (see Registration / first steps). Registration | first steps).
You will find our electronic media in the library catalogue, as well as on the following page. The staff at the information desk are happy to help you with searching in the catalogue, databases, etc. as well as with all other steps.
Collecting ordered media
Ordered media are made available in the self-collection room (1st floor). You will receive a pick-up invitation by e-mail. Delivery period.
Postal delivery (only possible within Switzerland)
On request we will send all borrowable items per post to your address. Select "Region Basel" as the Pickup Institution and "Private Address" or "Work Address" if available, as the Pickup Location (CHF 12.- per item).
Courier orders and interlibrary loans
You can make an acquisition request and we will check whether the book can be ordered for the University Library Basel.
Please deposit jackets, bags and food and drink items in the lockers before using the reading rooms on the 1st floor as well as the open stacks and journals stacks. For this purpose, 900 day lockers are available in the basement to use free of charge.
Members of the university use their UNIcard for the lockers.
Members of the public
The PRINTcard (copy card) of the university libraries can also be used to use the lockers.
If someone does not have a PRINTcard, but is registered in swisscovery and has a library card for the university library, they will be given a badge at the Infodesk for use of the lockers. The badge will be stuck onto the library card and can be reused indefinitely.
All other visitors will receive a guest card at the Infodesk in return for a deposit. The guest card must be returned the same day.
Users with physical disabilities
For users with physical disabilities, 15 lockers are available on the ground floor (the lockers in the basement are not wheelchair-accessible). Please contact the Infodesk for an authorisation card.
Members of the University of Basel can rent a locker in the University Main Library free of charge for a maximum of two semesters (starting each autumn semester).
The lockers are located in the basement (after the stairs on the rights in the room furthest at the back).
Registration form for semester lockers
- Help for the use of the open stacks is available at the desk on the first floor or by email / phone + 41 61 207 31 00.
- Users with impaired mobility can order the required items by email and we will place the items ready for collection at the lending desk. A collection notice will be sent. Alternatively, items can be ordered for collection at any courier library.
- There is a ramp at the main entrance and a lift in the foyer.
- A parking space for those with mobility issues is available (marked in yellow) in front of the building at Bernoullistrasse 28.
Tram no. 3 to Spalentor
Bus no. 30 to Spalentor or Bernoullianum
Delivery of goods
For deliveries of goods please contact the caretaker at the University Main Library 2-3 hours before the delivery by phone on +41 61 207 31 77 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.