In times of digitisation of research and in the sense of Open Science, the University Library Basel supports researchers in the use of research data and other digital objects for research and in making their research results such as publications and research data optimally accessible. Below you will find an introduction to our services.
Are you an academic at the University of Basel and would like to make your publication freely accessible? We will support you with the following services, to make your publications Open Access:
- Guidance and training on Open Access publication options and financing
- Information about the guidelines of research sponsors such as the SNSF and the EU
- Listing and secondary publication of your publications (Green Open Access) in the edoc repository
- Publication discounts for journals from various publishers
- Primary publication options for your series, working papers, anthologies or monographs
The University Library is responsible for the archiving of University of Basel dissertations and for the electronic publication of dissertations. The regulations of the respective faculties apply to the submission of dissertations. Please contact the appropriate Dean’s office.
On this page you will find all relevant information about
- regulations regarding where to submit dissertations
- printing and binding specifications
- submission of the electronic version
The University Library is a member and the coordination centre for the Research Data Management Network at the University of Basel. In cooperation with the Vice President’s Office for Research, the library ensures coordination amongst all participants within the network. The University Library offers you interdisciplinary support for the entire data management cycle with its expertise in the area of information and knowledge organisation.
The University Library offers you the following services
- Data management plans: information, models, training and guidance
- Data organisation: courses and guidance
- Archiving and publishing: support with documentation, publication and archiving of research data
The University Library actively supports digital research projects with
- project-specific digitisation: We clarify with you your need for digitised sources and provide you with a cost estimate or refer you to a suitable service provider. Orders for smaller digitisation requests can be placed at the Digitisation Centre or can be activated directly in the catalogue (EOD). For larger research projects we are happy to advise you personally.
- processing and enrichment of digital corpora: We support you with your research project planning, show you options and standards, and offer help with data extraction (OCR or HTR).
- guidance: Research questions often require solutions that go beyond standard solutions. The University Library offers you support during the project planning phase, be it in the development of a prototype or a new interface. Our goal is to enable digital research projects with and around our holdings.
In addition to Open Science and digital research, the University Library supports you with the following services for your research:
- Systematic Reviews: Mediated searches and advice for medicine (and related disciplines) and for psychology
- Bibliometrics: Advice and support. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Literature searching: Advice and training for subject-specific information searching as well as for discipline-specific databases
- Reference management: Advice and training
- Research with and on historical holdings: Advice, training on research, support for editions and exhibitions
Events & workshops
The University Library regularly offers workshops and events in all of the above areas. The next events can be found here.